Basmati rice is a type of rice native to India and Pakistan that has become very popular around the world thanks to its delicate flavor and characteristic aroma. Besides being delicious, this rice type also has some health benefits that you may not be aware of, but which we will detail below.
A lots of Benefits
This type of rice is very versatile as it can be used in a wide variety of recipes. Due to its mild flavor and light and fluffy texture, basmati rice is ideal to accompany main dishes, such as meats, fish, vegetables and even desserts. If you want to experiment with the latter type of recipes you can visit the following link: mahatmarice.com/recipes/arroz-con-leche/.
Good source of energy
Basmati rice is an excellent source of complex carbohydrates, which break down slowly in the body and provide a steady source of energy. This is especially beneficial for people who engage in intense physical activity or who need to maintain constant concentration for long periods of time.
Low in fat and sodium
It is low in fat and sodium, making it an excellent choice for people looking to maintain a healthy diet.
This type of rice contains antioxidants that can help prevent cell damage caused by free radicals. These antioxidants may also help reduce the risk of chronic diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes and cancer.
Easy to digest
It is easy to digest and is considered a suitable food for people with digestive disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and Crohn’s disease. In addition, basmati rice is an excellent choice for people who have difficulty chewing or swallowing food, as it is easy to cook and its texture is smooth.
Rich in vitamins and minerals
Eating Basmati rice means providing the body with a wealth of vitamins and minerals, including thiamine (vitamin B1), niacin (vitamin B3), vitamin B6, iron, phosphorus and potassium. These nutrients are essential for maintaining good health and preventing disease.
Low in gluten
Last, but not least, this rice type is naturally gluten-free, making it an excellent choice for people who have digestive sensitivities or celiac disease.
In addition to being used as a side dish, this type of rice can also be used in a wide variety of main dishes, such as stews, salads, paellas and biryanis. The best representatives of its use can be found in the following recipes:
- Biryani: Biryani is a traditional dish of Indian cuisine that combines basmati rice with meat, vegetables and spices. There are many variations of biryani, which can include chicken, lamb, beef or even vegetables. Basmati rice is fundamental in this dish, as its flavor and texture combine perfectly with the spices and the rest of the ingredients.
- Paella: this is a typical Spanish dish that also uses basmati rice. It is prepared with a variety of seafood and spices, and is cooked in a large, shallow pan. The basmati rice absorbs the flavors of the seafood and spices and is fluffy and delicious.
- Kabsa: The traditional Saudi dish is prepared with basmati rice and lamb, chicken or camel meat. They are cooked together with a mixture of spices, such as cumin, cardamom and saffron, and served with almonds and raisins. The basmati rice absorbs the flavors of the spices and meat, creating a dish full of flavor and aroma.
- Fried rice: This is a very popular dish in Asian cuisine, which is prepared with basmati rice, vegetables and proteins, such as chicken, shrimp or tofu. Basmati rice is perfect for this dish, as it remains firm and loose after cooking, allowing it to fry perfectly.
- Arroz con pollo: Rice with chicken is a very common dish in many countries, including Spain, Cuba, Peru and the Philippines. It is prepared with basmati rice, chicken, vegetables and spices, and can be a complete meal in itself. The basmati rice absorbs the flavors of the chicken and spices, creating a dish full of flavor and aroma.
In conclusion, basmati rice is a delicious and healthy food that offers a wide range of health benefits. Whether you are looking to increase your energy, reduce your fat and sodium intake, prevent chronic diseases or simply enjoy a delicious rice dish, basmati rice is an excellent choice. Be sure to include basmati rice in your regular diet to take full advantage of all its health benefits.