While cornbread stuffing is a common alternative to traditional stuffing, I was inspired to create this dish by a neighbor of mine who has one child with a gluten allergy AND another child with a corn allergy. This dish didn’t last long in the test kitchen- my kids licked the plates clean!
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (cooked in veggie broth instead of water)
- 1 green apple, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup brown mushrooms, chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and preheat over medium high heat. Once heated, add apple, onion, celery, and mushrooms and saute for approximately 3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients (including cooked quinoa) and simmer on medium heat for 5-10 minutes, until vegetables are soft and liquid has cooked off.